Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Rabbitts or deer keep eating my leaves- anything I can spray on them?

I have 2 Loquat tree that keep getting chewed up by rabbitts or deer...is there anything I can spray on the leaves that won't hurt the tree? I also have dogs so it needs to be something that won't hurt them.Rabbitts or deer keep eating my leaves- anything I can spray on them?
gasolineRabbitts or deer keep eating my leaves- anything I can spray on them?
spray ammonia mix around the area they wont come around then
You could put a small fence around the tree.





I have used a product called No Rabbit. It looks like cat liter, but contains castor bean oil and other things that deter rabbits. Also it doesn't need to be reapplied after rain, like most sprays do.





You can also make your own spray. Here is the recipe:


In a food processor chop up one clove of garlic and one hot pepper (or you can use chili powder) add this to a a pint of water, mix well, strain, pour into a sprayer that has never held chemicals, add one drop of liquid dishwashing soap and one drop of vegetable oil and spray on the plants you wish to protect. Remember to shake before using so you get all the good stuff on your plants. You will need to reapply after rain.
I have heard that blood meal will keep the deer away from plants. We have lots of deer and rabbits here and the farmers around the area swear by it. Deer and rabbits and other animals don't like the smell. Blood meal (or dried blood) can be gotten at the nursery.
try www.gardeners.comor 1 800 427 3363. they list several products for deer and rabbits. they also make a deal you stick in the ground that has scented cotton on the top. when the deer goes to smell it they get a shock. I got mine at Ace hardware and they have worked well for me. there are 3 in the package
I have good luck with ';Hinder';. It's some kind of urea and it will make your plants grow too from the nitrogen. Won't hurt your dog or anyone. It smells like ammonia in the jug but once you mix it up it doesn't have a smell to us at all. The deer must be able to smell it because it really does work. The label says it will work on the rabbits too.
Check out Repellex.com. They make two types of deer and rabbit repellents.
There are many commercial deer repellents on the market and my site has about 14 different ones listed that should work. First you need to read my deer repellent tips and deer repellent page to figure out which kind you need to buy or make yourself. http://www.deer-departed.com

No comments:

Post a Comment