Friday, February 12, 2010

What is expected of a motorist who accidentally hits a large animal, such as a deer?

I live in suburban CA, and I've never seen any roadkill bigger than coyotes.


Are you supposed to leave it where it is? What should one expect to hear if you are pulled over afterward, and will you be fined or brought in for questioning if the damage to (and blood on) your car looks suspicious?What is expected of a motorist who accidentally hits a large animal, such as a deer?
If the animal is big enough, you won't be going anywhere.





Notify the police so they can have someone remove the animal, especially if it is still in the road. It's a road hazard that needs removal. If you can, without creating an additional hazard for yourself, place some kind of advanced warning for traffic (flares, triangles or anything you may have). If you can't move your car, you don't want other drivers doing further damage to your car.





You'll need a police report to have the insurance company pay for the damage repair.What is expected of a motorist who accidentally hits a large animal, such as a deer?
I got hit by a deer last April, and I did not report it. This deer came running full-blast out of nowhere and ran head-first into my fender, crumpling it and barfing all over it. Then he got up and ran off.





In NJ if you call a cop, he will give you a ticket. I'd get a ticket for ';interfering with the wildlife right-of-way';. It was the same township that gave one of my friends a ticket for driving during a bright sunny day with a daytime running headlight burnt out...the local Stillwater township cop said the ';car was being run in an unmaintained and unsafe condition';, and the local judge upheld it and my friend was fined $120 (he is 40+ years old, so he's not a teenager). Luckily he researched the statute, and he reminded the judge that the maximum fine allowed for the violation is $40.





Anyway, regarding my deer hit, I simply reported it to the insurance company the next day. They scheduled an estimator to come out, judge the damage, make sure it was confirmed, then the insurance co. sent me a check for the repairs. I believe deer damage is covered under comprehensive, not collision, on my insurance...your mileage may vary.





Just a personal opinion, but I think I got a much more sizeable check because I worked with the estimator and didn't give him a hard time, I also accommodated his early-morning schedule, and that was back when I was working night shift.
I know that in Medera County, you should call the local Animal Control or street department to pick it up\euthanize it if need be- just to be kind. You dont want to leave a dead animal in the road as a hazard to other motorists, nor do you want to leave an injured animal suffer. Just use common sense and be safe! And dont forget to call nyour insurance company to report it for coverage!
I grew up in Wisconsin where most everyone I knew (except me) hit a deer. My dad hit 2 in his Suburban. The only thing I knew that if you want the insurance to pay you need a report so it may be in your interest to have an officer come. Also if the animal is wounded, it becomes an ethical issue to have the animal put out of it's misery. Can't say about the law in CA though. Sorry
Well you should have stop and called the police to report it because if the Animal is hurt then can destroy it. But since you didn't stop after hitting the animal it could be consider a hit and run. Which alone is huge problem where you could lose your license.
i live in cali too and if we ever hit a deer we have to eat it because its really tasty and if you hit one you call me ok my number is 911 9119

No comments:

Post a Comment