Friday, February 12, 2010

How long does it take to butcher a deer?

Total time from field dressing to closing the lid on the freezer. Not including the time to drag it out of the woods and drive home of course.How long does it take to butcher a deer?
1-2 hours depending if I let it hang over night. If I am doing it in the dark or the deers age.





I once killed a management doe that was the size of a small horse. She took a long time 3-4 hours. I'm 6'3'; 260lbs and I could not lift her in the truck. That was the biggest body deer I had ever seen.How long does it take to butcher a deer?
You really also need to ask the type of butchering your doing. Are you taking the mussel sections apart and removing the silver skin then wrapping it. Are you butchering it like a swine or beef with a bandsaw cutting your steaks up and grinding the rest. Or are you just going to grind the whole thing and wrapping it up.





I seen a professional Chef from Purdue University do it the German way taking each mussel group apart with a knife and removing silver skin along the way. This took about a hour and a half for half a deer. of course this was part of a class and it might be sped up to an hour for a half (2 hour for a deer). Last year youth early deer season was a hot day and when my young hunter got a deer we hurried to get it checked and butchered. We saved the tenderloin and loin, but ground the rest took less than an hour with three of us working and a commercial grinder. Still had to wrap it after that.
Takes me about an hour total time, that includes, field dressing, skinning, deboning, cutting steaks, cubes, and grinding. You should look on youtube to see how to do it, there is a good couple of videos by someone called williescountrymeats . It does a really good showing you how to do it. I think this will help you out a great deal. Here I found the 1st video for you.





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzYGBNDc_鈥?/a>





Watch the whole series, and you can really learn a lot.





Happy Hunting.
first time ...hours... just holding the manual open to the right page as you follow along will eat up 45 minutes.





a couple of hours if you have done it before. About half a day to clean up your carport if you forgot to bring a load of sawdust home to work over.





I drive mine over to the meat locker in town... $50 bucks it all wrapped the way I asked and flash frozen.
5-10mins for field dress then depending on number of people and equipment to skin the deer and chop it and wrap it and mark all the pieces in clean environment. About 30mins for a good butcher to do it.
Probably around a half an hour dressing it... sectioning probably takes a good half hour also (I like to divvy up the ';good'; parts from the ';tasty'; parts...). It depends on where I am, and how ';hot'; I feel that day.
well it takes about 10 mintes to field dress a deer. And will vary in time in how you butcher the deer, what cuts of meat, deerburger, etc.
Anywhere between 30 minutes to a few hours. Depends on your experience, etc..

No comments:

Post a Comment