Sunday, February 7, 2010

Is hanging a gutted deer in your front yard ok?

I get up this morning and this is what I find. The neighbor chose a tree that is 10 feet from my driveway to hang his gutted dear. To me something seems not right about this arent they supposed to use their garage or something? I have two small kids who will see this in a little bit when we get into the car. Is this wrong of him to do?Is hanging a gutted deer in your front yard ok?
I think it is presumptious of many people to think that your children dont know where meat comes from. Just because you know where meat comes from doesnt mean you want to see a deer, with his hide, hanging from a tree. He still has his feet, etc and that could be upsetting to anyone let alone kids. All you asked was is ';arent they supposed to use their garage or something'; and very few of the answers contained that information. Kudos to the people who answered the question without preaching. My only suggestion is to call your local police department. If they dont have the answer I am sure they can direct you to the party who can answer it for you. Good luck...Is hanging a gutted deer in your front yard ok?
thought that';s what all rednecks did !!
He should hang it somewhere that the flies cant get at it.





Your kids need to know that if they eat meat that an animal has to be killed.
oh, suffering from the bambi syndrom eh? they see much worse at the movies and on tv...
why not you go to the grocery store to the meat case don't you where do you think that meat comes from do you think it magically appears it is the mans food just not prepared yet
I am not a hunter, but I homesteaded for years. There were always goats and other carcasses hanging in my yard. My kids were fully aware of the cycle of life. Maybe it's time for you to open their eyes.
Not o.k. for the deer of course, but you have to check with your local P.D. or beautification committee on that. People hang all sorts of things on their property where I live, but then I live in a mobile home park.
If you are concerned for your kids...then yes. go over there and ask him to at least cover the darn thing, for the sake of your children.
You are to used to getting your food from a shelf . When a man goes hunting he is proud of his catch. It is a custom. As has been going on for millions of years. It is completely natural as a mother nurtures her young. It is not violence it is natural for your kids to see where food comes from. You need to explain it to them. Make them aware of it. There are not many flies to speak of in the cold. If it were warm out the meat will go bad. If it starts to smell you should ask him to remove it or call the board of heath.
Sure, if your neck is red.
You could call your local non-emergency police department number, and ask if there are any regulations or local laws against such an act. .
Your neighbor sounds like a very ignorant, thoughtless man who obviously doesn't care about children in the neighborhood. He should realize the world doesn't revolve around him. Maybe an old sheet over it so your children wont see?
I understand that the sight of this can be offensive, but at the same time, it is part of life. I think you should take your kids over there and explain to them exactly what is going on. They guy probably hasn't thought about it being offensive at all, because it is simply his way of life. He may live on the meat he hunts all year- not everyone can afford to buy packaged meat at the store, and maybe he doesn't want to. I bet eating that deer meat is alot less risky than the stuff we get at the store now! We had to butcher chickens and clean fish all summer when I was a child, and I am suffering no long term trauma from it. Sorry that you feel a little skittish about it, but once again, it is a fact of life. If your children had been born in an earlier day and age, they would be carving toys from the antlers right now. Good luck with this!
it is ok to hang a deer in your front yard if your yard is not clearly visible from the road


your neighbor should have used his back yard


it may not be illegal but it is tasteless


in some cities it is illegal to dress-out fresh meat in the yard...call the police and ask
His choice of location may not be the best, but I don't know whether he has any other trees or other factors that may apply. If he intends to field dress the deer, he needs to be able to hang it up, etc...


He might not have even thought about you or your kids being offended. Nowadays, seems the only thing that will get someone in trouble is a noose.


Anyway, he shouldn't leave it hanging too long before he needs to dress it and store it. If he lets it hang too long, then I would call the city and tell them your neighbor has poor taste in art! Otherwise, just talk to him and ask him to toss a sheet over it until he's ready to do his thing.





good luck
I don't think so.
i think its pretty degrading to the deer even though its dead.
Legally no. As long as he has a hunting license and a tag, he can hang it anywhere in his yard.


But I'm with you on this one! I don't want to see anything gutted anywhere in my sight. I would ask him to move it for the sake of your kids and your 'stomach'. If he's a real jerk, then call the local authorities and they can probably persuade him to move it. I'm guessing he's probably a real careless jerk though or he wouldn't have put it there in the first place. UGH, some people drive me insane with their lack of thought!


I hate deer season. Where I live you can't drive anywhere without seeing a dead deer hanging out of the back of a truck or swarms of orange vests and hats in beat up 4x4's. haha!


Thank god I dont have neighbors!
i live in mississippi in the north east part. deer season is in effect. the hunters have respect and gut a deer where little kids don't see this. no it is not nice for your neighbor to do this. be nice and ask him to move it some where else. explain about your kids and see if he moves the deer some where else. if not, then you will have to tell your kids that this is how the people in cowboy days did it. if they don't know about cowboys, then tell them that this was done years ago so people could eat.
There is one hanging in the tree down from my house right now. The guy says it is the only tree that will support the weight of the hanging deer. When I drove by earlier, some dogs were chewing on the legs.So, I am hoping he finds a spot to relocate it. Good Luck!
Sounds like you moved into the wrong neck of the Woods..I would try to make the best of a bad situation,as others have said you now have the perfect history,biology lesson for your children.
I agree that it is kinda gross but it is reality. If you're a vegan, go ahead and ask politely to your neighbor, that you don't want your kids exposed to a dead gutted animal. If you eat meat %26amp; your children eat meat. I think you should teach them %26amp; show them how the meat gets to your table. Show that it was once alive %26amp; we have to kill an animal to eat the meat. Maybe they will become vegan, maybe they will turn into a hunter, who knows?!
Kind of boorish, I guess. Neighbor probably meant no harm at all. Maturity and civility will go a long ways here. Try approaching the neighbor from a somewhat tentative approach. Be more defensive than offensive. This should smooth the waters out. Many people like displaying hunting trophies. Neighbor might just be inviting you to enjoy some venison. Maybe just a practical solution, in your neighbors view. If you convey the message to your neighbor that you are sensitive to the situation they will more than likely make other arrangements. Deer are usually cleaned outside using this method, to do it in an enclosure like a garage would be unduly messy. Would be shocked and dismayed if your hunter friend let the deer hang for more than one full day(on the outside maybe a day and a half, but no longer), that just wouldn't serve any practical purpose. It's just the start of hunting season, so this problem should be addressed. For about roughly thirty dollars one could build a structure, (out of sight), in less than three hours, that would serve to clean most any deer.
I'm a hunter that killed an antelope a few weeks ago and a deer yesterday so I'm caught in the middle here a little. Me being me I wouldn't do it to you or your kids, but more to the point the guy's an idiot if he leaves it up tonight. Mine would be reduced to bones by cats, dogs, coyote, badger, coon, skunk and tainted by flies before tomorrow. That being said, I think too many people forget where there food comes from before it hits the plate. I know people that seem to think meat grows in those plastic packages in the grocery and frozen peas are grown in the arctic. It might be time to give your kids the equivalent of the ';sex talk'; including only the info needed at there age. I remember my younger brother and I watched my grandfather slaughter chickens. I was old enough to think the';blood spurting headless chicken dance'; was the coolest thing I'd ever seen, my brother had nightmares and hates chicken to this day, so a child's age makes a difference. RScott
  • dvr
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment