Sunday, February 7, 2010

How can I keep deer out of my garden?

And do it in an environmentally friendly way.How can I keep deer out of my garden?
Hi. I am a gardener, (for a living), in Vermont. Vermont has a very large deer population, and I deal with this problem constantly, and with varying degrees of success.





The first thing I will suggest is a book called ';Gardening in Deer Country';. My clients like this. The book assigns a number to plants based on how appetizing they are to a deer. It also gives various suggestions on managing a deer problem. I give more book suggestions at bottom.





The second thing I will suggest is a dog. I don't mean you have to actually get one. But if you have a neighbor or a friend with a dog, let them know about your problem and invite them to walk along the perimeter of your property on a regular basis. The markings left by the dog at the edge of the property will strike a fear warning in the deer. If they are starving they may still come in...but a dog's presence really helps. My lab has eliminated deer problems in my own garden.





My next suggestion is to consider what you are planting. (this is where the book I mention above is of help). When I set up a garden in an area with high deer populations, I try to position plants deer dislike at the edge of the garden. Deer avoid certain plants, like daffodils. Deer also dislike things aromatic or very prickly. By the way, they may ';browse'; them to try them, but generally they avoid aromatic and prickly things. I place the more enticing plants at the interior of the garden, and the less attractive things at the perimeter.





A deer will eat anything when it is starving, but some plants are much more thrilling to eat. Gardens filled with daylilly plants, delphinium, hosta, azalea, and other deer favorites are basically a deer's gourmet buffet.





Other resources I would suggest:


';Deerproofing Your Yard and Garden'; R M Hart


';Outwitting Deer'; Bill Alder Jr.





The suggestion of human hair in the first answer is a good one to try, but it will require a fairly constant supply of hair. In my experience you need to make the environment a little less enticing, and use several tactics at once. The dog is a great natural enemy of the deer, (which is why all those catalogs try to sell coyote urine). A domestic dog's urine is just as threatening to a deer, and much more economical. Do remember that a female dog will have acidic urine. If you are worried about your perimeter grass or shrubs, invite a male dog.





A good approach might be the hair, plus a regular dog visitor, plus repositioning some of the attractive plants closer to the house and maybe a loose, prickly hedge at perimeter of the garden.





The fence idea is a last and very expensive resort. And, the fence must be tall. At least 8'. I would try other things first unless you are literally over-run with deer.





Best of luck to you.How can I keep deer out of my garden?
Hang some old clothes (not washed) on yr lawn edges %26amp; deer


wont bother u again as they dont like human odour.
Human hair. Amazingly enough this is usually all it takes. Visit your barber and ask for a bag of hair, then sprinkle that around your garden. The deer won't like the scent of humans. Baseball diamond owners will do this when growing grass as well.
move to a different house... www.realtors.com
7 Foot fence is all I know
ok the human hair answer sounded a but weird... but hey to each is own.. my mom used to go to the dollar store and get those wind mills.. that spin ... they are brightly colored , add color to your yard , are cheap, and keep the deer out because they are afraid of them.. good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment