Sunday, February 7, 2010

How do I prevent my dog from rubbing her neck in deer feces or her own feces?

We adopted a three year old boxer / rhodesian ridge back female in December. She is very fearful of strangers and we suspect she might have been abused. She has a smelly/dirty habit of rubbing her neck in deer feces, her own feces or some other dirty mess at least once a week. How do I keep her from doing this? Other than this disgustingly smelly habit she is a wonderful dog especially to my children.How do I prevent my dog from rubbing her neck in deer feces or her own feces?
Keep her in a fenced yard and pick up after her when she potties or walk her on a leash instead of opening the door and allowing her ot run free.How do I prevent my dog from rubbing her neck in deer feces or her own feces?
Dogs love to roll in stuff, the smellier %26amp; more rotten, the better. Some say it's instinct --as wild dogs do so as to mask their smell-- sneak up on prey without the prey smelling the dog's own scent.





If she is off-leash in your yard, just pick up everything before she goes out. Teach her to ';leave it'; if you have her out for a walk %26amp; she finds something interesting to roll in. There is no way you can keep her from doing something that is basically instinct, other than correcting her %26amp; pulling her away from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment