Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How many acres of a wooded area is considered the minimum for hunting deer?

Much depends on the land. Open pasture will require more acres per hunter than would a heavily wooded piece of land. The general rule of thumb is 100 acres per hunter. Take that 100 acres and adjust it up or down depending on the land. You may need to make adjustments for the deer population as well.





I once owned a heavily wooded piece of land in East Texas that was only 20 acres. It had a high ridge running diagonally across it and heavy woods on either side. I could take a friend with me to hunt that 20 acres because he could be safely on one side of the ridge and I could be on the other. The deer would move out of the woods on either side of my property, cross my land and either my friend or I could get a shot at them. The deer population was pretty high so in that particualr situation, only 20 acres worked for 2 hunters. But this is an exceptionHow many acres of a wooded area is considered the minimum for hunting deer?
id say check with ur local laws, and whoevers property ur huntin n make sure its fine with them. id say as long as ur in safe range of not hitin nuthin, and theres deer.How many acres of a wooded area is considered the minimum for hunting deer?
Depends on what you are asking. If you are asking about hunting with a land owners tag, the rules very from state to state. Call the game warden to find out. If you are talking about hunting on land in the country that has a bit of woods, well that all depends on the deer population in the area. If you are asking about hunting in your back yard in the city, that is illegal. But, some places are opening this up to control deer. Here it has to be at least 5 acres and has to be inspected and approved before you can hunt it. Personally I have 40 acres that is 1/2 woods and kill deer every year.
Depends on the region you're hunting on. I've successfully hunted deer on multiple occasions on as little as 37 acres of land. Other times I've hunted on hundreds of acres with less success.





H
there is no required acrage all you have to do is be 450 feet from a building or playground
location location location, if there are no deer in the area that you are hunting then it would not matter if you had a thousand acre's but if you had natural funnels, creeks or trails leading to and from bedding area's to feeding area's then the chances are good that you are going to game going through the property
I actually have killed many deer on my Grandmother's 3 acre parcel. I really believe location is more important than size in most cases. Her property is prime hunting area as it is a funnel from where they bed and the field they eat. I hunt this area during the rut and the larger parcels of land after.
I would check with you local Fish and Game officials or your local laws. For the most part I think that it depends on what type of tool you plan on using to take the deer. Plus it would be bad to have a wounded animal run into someones yard. Or shoot though someones house.
Are you using a shotgun, bow, or rifle? How close are other residences? Is there plenty of wooded land that connects to this acreage. Is the land you want to hunt public or private? You have to consider these variables. I had a friend that hunted successfully for years on 5 acres. It was in Michigan, It was private, and it was surrounded by private land that was not pressured.

No comments:

Post a Comment