Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Can you help me with seasoning deer jerky?

I have a lot of venison that I want to make jerky with. I want to make a homemade seasoning but I don't know where to start. Are there ant good homemade recipes or should I go but some seasoning?Can you help me with seasoning deer jerky?
I've made deer jerky for 25+ years now. I've tried tons of recipes and it really depends on what you like.





I usually do a marinade mix with Soy Sauce, Worchestershire Sauce, Liquid Smoke, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Meat Tenderizer, Brown Sugar, Liquid Smoke (This one is a must)...I usually play with the marinade until it tastes how I want...mostly Soy and Brown Sugar...





As to steaming, I've never done this nor heard of having to do this. Also, if you don't want to spend the money on a dehydrator, you can do the same job in your oven...if you run a toothpick through the top of the strip, you can hang a bunch from the racks...just set it on the lowest heat setting and crack the oven door just a little bit.





If possible, leave your meat soaking in the marinade for at least a few days...it makes a huge difference.





I love making jerky, but I usually have to keep the doors locked when I do...friends come out of the woodwork!Can you help me with seasoning deer jerky?
This is a recipe that my husand uses and it's really good. I haven't heard of the steaming method before. We have never steamed the meat before making jerky, so I don't think it's necessary! Hope this recipe works for you. You are very lucky...Venison Jerky is awesome!





VENISON JERKY (Deer Jerky)





3 lbs. deer meat cut into 1/2 x 1/4 inch thick strips


1 tsp. onion powder


1 tsp. black pepper


1/4 c. soy sauce


1 tbsp. salt


1 tsp. garlic powder


1/3 c. Worcestershire sauce


1 T. liquid smoke





Mix all the above ingredients and pour over meat and marinate overnight in refrigerator or where cool. (Zip Lock bags do very well for this purpose.)


Dry in sunlight or in very low oven setting, about 200 degrees, until completely dry (about 3 to 5 hours).
Things You鈥檒l Need:


Deer shoulder 1 tbsp. garlic salt 1 tbsp. black pepper 4 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce 1 tbsp. salt 2 tbsp. brown sugar 1/4 cup cider vinegar





Here is how...


http://www.ehow.com/how_4587148_make-dee鈥?/a>
Teriaki is pretty easy and tastes good, just soak it in soy sauce.





Really, any marinade will work, as it will keep the flavor after you dry the meat. So just pick your favorite!
My husband starts off by soaking the meat for a few days in....beer, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, salt, Liquid smoke and brown sugar. Then he puts it in the dehydrator for about a day and night... YUMMY
This might take several hunting seasons for you to find the one or two recipes that really appeal to you, but here's a few I found at the link below.


Cheers!
You don't have to steam deer meat before you make it into jerky. I don't know about the spices my dad always just buys his.

No comments:

Post a Comment