Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How do I attract deer to my property?

I live on 11 acres %26amp; want to be able to see deer (I do not plan on hunting them). They came through regularly when I first moved in, but now I never see them. I brought dogs with me %26amp; they urinate on the grounds. Does this make the deer wary of the property? Also, I put out a block of salt about a month ago, as well as some apples. The deer have not found these yet. How long does it take? Any suggestions?How do I attract deer to my property?
The first thing is, do you have a sizeable deer population in your general area? If the habitat is destroyed or too divided up, you may not have enough deer around to notice. Second, are the deer in your area migratory? In the Sierra Nevada Mtns. of California, the deer migrate East-West depending on the seasons and breeding/mating.


So, if you are in deer habitat, you could start by making your property more like ideal deer habitat--not only food plants, but the appropriate cover for lays and safe paths for movement. Deer love the transition areas between forest and clearings, and tend to only move 'into' the clearings to feed when they feel the area is safe, but will travel 'through' the forested/brushy areas, and bed down in thickets, because they are less visible to predators. Also, deer tend to be more nocturnal, so get out at dusk or dawn for the best viewing, and learn to recognize deer tracks so you can see if they are indeed moving through your property already while you aren't watching.How do I attract deer to my property?
Be careful about putting any kind of feed out for the deer. It can attract other animals you do not want (skunks for 1). Also this is considered baiting rather you mean to hunt them or not you can still get fined for doing it.


A couple of dogs won't bother them but more might.


Check the internet for what kinds of plants the deer like in your area. Make them a place where they can feed on the plants while kind of hidden. Weather changes their paths and time of day you see them. Once the plants are established and they find them they should keep coming back.


The plants are not considered baiting or feeding so you don't have to worry about fines.
I think badeye is a little paranoid. If someone comes out to watch you put out deer corn on your 11 acres, they have other issues. Anyway, go to your local farmer's co-op and get clover seed and plant clover. Deer love it. I used to watch 3 doe and two fawn in my back yard as well as about 20-30 wild turkey. Yes, I ';baited'; them. LOL
ya the dogs are probably scaring them off, try keeping your dogs away from where you want the deer to come, also use dried corn, they love it


good luck!
go to wal-marts and by dear urine not kidding spray on trees and field but yeah the dogs hurt they don't like being cased
Buy some deer urine.
go to the local sporting goods store and get some feed or other product that attracts deer
';herrre, deer deer !';





p.s. my pets name is misty :] its a beautiful name!
  • dvr
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment