Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What can I use to simulate rattling deer antlers?

I am wondering if there is anything around the house or woods that I can use to simulate the sound of rattling antlers of two bucks fighting. All the stores are out right now of calls and antlers.What can I use to simulate rattling deer antlers?
Check the telephone yellow pages for your local taxidermists. They almost always have antler odds and ends or sets laying around the shop and you should be able to talk them out of a pair for little or nothing...especially if they think there is a good chance you will be bringing that big buck in for a head mount. Here in Alaska, some hunters also use the deer (or moose/caribou) shoulder blade (bone) especially when calling in moose. The blade imitates somewhat the sound of an antler racking the brush. Use it to scrape the bark on a tree or shrub and rattle the shrubbery with it. It sounds like a big buck polishing off the velvet from his antlers. Rattling antlers works better for whitetail deer than it does for mule deer, but both kinds strip the velvet from their antlers just prior to the rut, and during the rut they are making ';rubs'; throughout their territory to show and tell other bucks (and does) where they hang out. If you have a buck claiming your area and he hears what he thinks is another buck trying to take over his territory, he will be quick to respond and attempt to chase off an intruder. Be ready. Every time I tried it, they came in really fast. In fact, the first time caught me TOTALLY unprepared and I missed a classic shot. That won't happen again to me, and I hope it doesn't to you either. Good luck and good shootin'!What can I use to simulate rattling deer antlers?
Kind of a rig job, but from what I have read it is effective. Get some 1/4';-1/2'; dow rods, cut them down to size and sew them into a bag. If you don't have any experience sewing, off the top of my head, I would assume a bag from a bottle of Crown Royal would do just fine. Place the dows, which are cut down to size, in the bag and tie the drawstring up. BTW, let me know if this works from you, I would be very interested in putting an article on my deer hunting tips section of my website (http://theamericastop.com/category/hunting-tips-deer/). Thanks and good luck!
How about a couple of dryed out heavy forked sticks...................?


looks about right


might work


IDK, when I'm hunting....................I'm tryin' to be quiet.


Maybe I should set on my rump and rattle some deer horns together........I might start laughing because I'm having more fun playin' war with the deer horns!.........LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!
I don't know anything around the house. I know some gun shops or sporting good stores carry fake rattling antlers. I hear the best results come from using real antlers tough. this is what I hear I never used rattling antlers but plan to someday.
  • gray hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment