Friday, February 12, 2010

What is the best handgun caliber for white-tailed deer?

I want to know cause im planning on getting a revolver for deer hunting.What is the best handgun caliber for white-tailed deer?
I'd look at a Ruger or Smith %26amp; Wesson in .44 Magnum. The .357 will do the trick but you're going to have to be dead accurate with the shot unless you fancy chasing a wounded white-tail. The.41 Magnum is a good round, but .44 is more plentiful and available in more variety.





The six-inch barrel will not only give you more muzzle velocity and energy, it will also reduce the recoil and give you a better sighting picture.What is the best handgun caliber for white-tailed deer?
Deerslayer, ok here's a question about your question. Are you going to purchase a handgun just to hunt with or a revolver so you can shoot at the range, carry on road trips, have as a backup to a hunting rifle. The reason I ask is I enjoy handgun hunting more than any other type of firearm hunting. I have the 357s, 41, 44s, 45s, and 357 maximum all in different revolvers. But for strictly handgun hunting I have a TC chambered in 7mm/06 with a 14 inch barrel that takes large deer size game down to jack rabbits out to 200 yards. I also have a custom barrel chambered in a wildcat 6.5 x 250 that works great on varmints. If your looking for a handgun hunting only type handgun you might look at some of the single shot pistols on the market that will let you shoot 100 to 150 yards accurately. Good luck and good hunting.
The .44 magnum is the classic choice. However, the .357 magnum, 41 magnum and 10mm with hot loads are also reasonable choices. There are also a lot of more powerful and exotic calibers that I won't mention. But if its got as much or more power than a .357 it will work.





But I think the sweet spot really is the .44 magnum.
I have hunted whitetail with my SW .41 and have had tremendous luck with it. I have also used a .44 with similar results, but the difference in recoil and what you actually get from your round, the .41 outweighs the .44 imho, hands down.
It would be a toss up as to either the .44 magnum or the .45 Colt. Saying that you need to realize I'm not talking about a .45 Colt cowboy load, but a true petal to the metal Ruger, Casull, T/C Contender load. Something with a muzzle velocity over 900 fps.





Take a look at the link below;
Any of these calibers within 50 yards; the 357 Magnum, 41 Magnum, and the 44 Magnum.* Use a 6 inch barrel with adjustable sights.* Or mount a scope on it.* Recommend Smith %26amp; Wesson or Ruger Brand.*
Overall, I'd say 44 Magnum. I use 41 Magnum and heavy-loaded 45 Colt, too, but they give up a little something for general use. And I'm one who wouldn't include 357 Magnum in the mix at all. You can, of course, go for one of the huge bangers, but there's really no need for them.
357 mag as a minimum out of a 6 inch barrel inside 50 yards





I use a Ruger 30 carbine revolver but that is a small rifle round and is great for inside 50 yards.
I use a 6'; Dan Wesson .357 and it worked the one time in 4 years that I got close enough to a deer to shoot at it.
You'll need at least a .357 Magnum, or better yet a .41 or .44 Magnum if you can handle them. Use the heaviest hollow point ammo you can get.
I agree with those who say 357 Magnum or bigger. Use a gun with at least a 6'; barrel and ammo with a grain weight of at least 180 grains if using 357.
I would look into the .41 Magnum. In my opinion, it is the best hunting caliber ever made.
41mag. taurus tracker using premium cast bullets or a .44mag revolver
i would want a .41 Magnum or .44 Magnum, but the minimum would be a .357 Mag
Have to agree .357 magnum or bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment