Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How long can or should you age deer meat to make it more tender before I freeze it?

I age it for 10-15 days in a refridgator at a constant tempture. It seems to get fairly tender, if I age it longer will it get more tender?How long can or should you age deer meat to make it more tender before I freeze it?
The freezer does not prevent bacteria from multiplying , the only way to kill bacteria is heat. The deer is aging from the time of death. Many different techniques work just fine. Ted Nugent recommends aging for up to 3 weeks. I personally live in too warm a climate (usually) to age meat outside with the hide intact. So I must bleed it for a couple days in an ice chest , draining and adding clean ice for a couple days , then cut and wrap and freeze.


Before eating I will thaw it in the refrigerator and age it for a couple of days, draining off the blood that collects.


This works well for me. Cooking techniques are the main variable in wether or not your meat gets tough.How long can or should you age deer meat to make it more tender before I freeze it?
I don't age it at all. Aging is simply controlled partial rotting. I put my venison straight into the freezer from the field (after cutting it up and boning it, and putting it in plastic bags), and I have never had a problem with my venison not being extremely tender.
maybe, I never tried farther then 12 days, but I would estimate it would, but if it's tender at 15 days, I wouldn't risk ruining the meat.


aging is good for the meat. yes, it's a form of rotting, but no bacteria is involved, just the enzymes in the meat breaking down the tough connections in the meat, thus tenderizing the meat.
I'm impressed that so many people are now recommending against aging me and the reasons given.


A friend who is in the ';meat'; business told me that meat is aging perfectly in the freezer.


I always throw some of the meat on the grill when I'm doing the initial butchering shortly after the animal was killed. Haven't noticed much difference.


Its thought by many that aging can be one of the common sources for ';gamie flavor';.
different people do it different ways.... ask your grandpa, or dad how they did it and then take there method and show it to your children so on and so on.....my grandpa after cleaning it, will watch the meat off fairly well and stick the 4 quarters (each quarter in separate bags) and stick them in a cold refrigerator and let age about a day or so before he pulls his grinder, and tenderizer out and the meat is perfectly tender, its not at all tough, of course it does depend on who and how you cook it.... do it how ever you want. right after you dress it or 1-2 days aging it. just dont let the meat spoil right?
You want to hang the deer in a cold area for 2-3 weeks then break it down into the steaks. Then you want to (week before ready to eat) dry age it by putting it in a colinder with a plate under it to drane out the nasty waste carrying blood. Then I highly recomend using the seasonings at this site http://www.wildeats.com/philosophy.php . I personally know the chef who makes the seasonings.
i never age deer meat. even under the most tightly controlled conditions,aging is nothing more than the first stage of bacterial contamination. well handled venison can be put in the freezer right away.
Aging venison doesn't do a thing for the meat as it is not marbled like beef. Therefore you don't have to age it.


I leave mine hang as long as I need to butcher it. Then it goes directly into the smoker and then into the freezer.
I have only aged it as long as it takes me to complete the butchering process. Most if quick frozen after wrapping but a little is put in the frig for use in the next few days.
My favortie steakhouse used to age beef for 30 days for optimum tenderness. I have personally never hung a deer for more than 2 weeks, that seems to be the limit I'm comfy with
I have hung deer anywhere from overnight, up to 10 days, and I can't tell any difference in tenderness.
I usually age mine 3-5 days.
i skin it off and let it hang for around a week

No comments:

Post a Comment