Friday, February 5, 2010

How much does it cost to get a cleaned deer packaged?

On average, if I cleaned it myself about how much would it cost to get it turned into nice little deer cuts. Or would it be easier just to cook it up myself? I'll probably call a few butchers ahead of time instead, but I'd like an idea so I don't get ripped off.How much does it cost to get a cleaned deer packaged?
A butcher around here averages $65.00 to cut and wrap a deer.


shoot safeHow much does it cost to get a cleaned deer packaged?
In my area they charge by the pound. usually a dollar a pound packaged. I have never taken one in and do them myself so i don't know f the price is a dollar a pound in package meat or hanging weight. Still seems pricey.





In Illinois, if you want to donate the meat YOU have to have it professionally processed.





I do my own and the other hunters in our ggroupbbecauseit is relatively cheap for 6-8 deer ( about 70 bucks in material) and we also make our own sausage and other cuts. Takes about 8 hours for all of it including cleaning up but worth it.
I started doing my own from the start.


I took the burger meat in to grind from that first elk to a butcher who does ';game processing';. The place was disgusting, looking very unsanitary. Had a deer carcass hanging, drying out in too high of temperature.


My new sausage guy is a fanatic though. All stainless and clean. He loves getting my meat because there is no hair or dirt like he gets from most hunters. He's a little too pricey on the grinding and sausage making from what he first charged. Now its around $150 to take about 80 lb of burger meat and grind, sausage, vacuum pack. Next year I think I'll do it all myself.
all charge differently, either you give them a little of the meat on the side and they lower the price or they charge you what they want, but a fair payment is 50-70 bucks, depends on how much work it is for them.





there is one last big and serious tip, make sure that you have all the meat from the animal before paying, because sometimes a butcher with no ethics takes some of the fine cuts for themselves without telling you, which is stealing! so find out ASAP what they give you or even get them to show you every piece of meat and making sure it's all accounted for, because it sucks if your interested in making a T bone and find out that the bone looks like this I, which means you are missing the filet mignon, the tenderest part of the whole animal! this has happened to me before and I told all the people in the community, guess what, he's outta business now, not only because of that, but somebody else reported him for doing the same thing and he lost his meat processing license.


karma's a pain in the a** eh?
In South Texas where I hunt it'll cost about $80 to $100. Another $35 if they have to gut it.





H
$45-$65 depends on how big it is
Cut it up yourself. It isn't hard. I've done over 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment