Friday, February 5, 2010

What is a good flowering plant that the deer will not eat?

the deer keep eating my plants, i've sprayed pepper spray for deer prevention, but it only last a little while, %26amp; i always miss the next treatment.What is a good flowering plant that the deer will not eat?
There are damn few things that deer won't eat when desperate for food. The only truly bullet proof flowering plant is the Dahlia. Occasionally however, bucks will do a Don Quixote fighting windmill imitation and annihilate the plant with their newly grown velvet horns. Fortunately, only late in the year when the plants are full grown and usually just one plant. The good news is Dahlias are spectacular and bloom til frost.





I've seen deer eat onions, leeks, tomato plants drenched with hot pepper spray, rudbeckia, echinacea and countless other plants reputed to be deer safe.





good luck.What is a good flowering plant that the deer will not eat?
I highly recommend you looking into High Country Gardens. They are a great nursery based out of Santa Fe, New Mexico. I'm in Colorado and plan a special trip there each spring! They offer many plants %26amp; flowers that are deer resistant, including agastache, artemisia, stachys, thyme, lavendar, etc.





Here's a link:


http://highcountrygardens.com/catalog/se鈥?/a>
I've heard Day Lilies are good at deterring deer. I've heard of people using garlic, too. What I've learned, also, (and I can't remember where I learned it...I have all sorts of sites I visit!! LOL), is that deer don't like smelly plants(i.e. the various mints, etc.), and they really don't like the hairy plants (i.e. Lamb's Ear, for one). These are ones that they won't eat, so I keep them around the edges of my garden. I've also heard of using human hair, like the hair on the floor after you get your hair cut. Spread it around your garden. It smells of humans, so they avoid it. It seems to have worked in my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment