Friday, February 5, 2010

What caliber firearm do i need to legally hunt deer in michigan?

I have a .22 LR and a 9mm Luger. I need to know if I can hunt deer with my 9mm, or if I need a larger caliber to legally hunt in Michigan.What caliber firearm do i need to legally hunt deer in michigan?
That depends on where in Michigan you are hunting. If you are hunting north of the shotgun line the answer is yes, you may use your 9mm Luger. From the Michigan DNR website:





Q. What caliber or gauge of firearm (rifle, shotgun, pistol) can I use to hunt deer north of the ';Rifle-Shotgun Line';?





Any caliber or gauge is legal north of the ';Rifle-Shotgun Line'; except a .22 caliber rimfire or smaller caliber rimfire rifle or pistol. All centerfire rifles and handguns and all shotguns are legal in this area regardless of caliber or gauge.





If you need a map of the ';rifle - shotgun line'; look here:





http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153鈥?/a>


What caliber firearm do i need to legally hunt deer in michigan?
I live and hunt in Michigan. So you have to use a caliber larger than a .22 and this includes a .223. There is also a rifle zone in Michigan. As long as you are basically north of M52 you are allowed to use a rifle. As far as the 9mm there is also a law that limits how many rounds you can have in a pistol below the rifle line - in the shotgun zone. That limit is 9 rounds and must be .35 cal or larger so the 9 barely falls in that category. However I would not try and shot anything with the 9mm unless the deer gets in really close.
The 9mm is definitely not an appropriate cartridge to hunt deer with. The only time I would use one would be in a survival situation with no better alternative. The lightest pistol cartridge I would use would be the .357mag. The lightest rifle I would be comfortable with is something in the .243Win range.
For many years the law simply stated any center fire weapon. That would mean your 9 mm would be legal. I have used a .357 Mag. at about 50 yards. The 9 mm would not be my first choice for a hand gun. It will work at close range. 50 yards and under and you had better be able to get a good clean shot at the heart and lungs. Any place other then that you will probably never find that deer. Carrying the gun in a holster while hunting, the gun must be fully visible at all times. Nothing may cover the gun or the holster part of the rig. I never checked to see if you have a Concealed Carry Permit if that rule still applies.
Ok....I checked your state laws and it says you can hunt with anything other than a 22. So you can hunt with the 9mm maybe. Your state has barrel regulations so you must check your barrel length on your 9mm and the requirements for the county you will be hunting in.


I wouldn't hunt with the 9mm unless your a good shot because it does not have a-lot of knock-down power. I would check out a 44mag. they are great, get a 8 or 9 inch barrel.
Look in the free hunting books that they usually have in most sporting good stores. They have all the rules and regulations inside these pamphlets from the fish and wildlife department.
if Michigan is like most other states the minimum caliber for large game is .243..





I'd opt for something a bit larger personally.. Look at a 270, 308, 30-30 or 30.06.



Go to the states web site for wildlife ans fisheries there's a lot more you need to know than what gun to use.
Definitely not the .22 LR.
I hunt %26amp; live in Michigan to. = ]
well contact local dnr ok,,, but i would say at least a rifle in 222 cal or shotgun ok tu eddie

No comments:

Post a Comment