Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How do I stop deer from eating my yard plants?

Every day I come out and check my plants in the front yard and the deer are positively eating them up. Is there anything I can put on the plants to make them stop? The wife won't let me shoot them.How do I stop deer from eating my yard plants?
We carry several deer repellents at our center but the one that works best and has the most repeat sales is called ';Liquid Fence';. It comes in a green and white bottle and you can buy ready-to-use or concentrate. I've used it myself and it works great. After a hard rain or snow you have to respray. After 3 or 4 times the deer learns your plants taste terrible and they will pass your place by on their quest for food. It does not harm your plants or the deer.How do I stop deer from eating my yard plants?
There are commercial products from wolf urine to wild animal dung - but they have to be replaced frequently, esp after precipitation. To discourage moose from eating plants in Alaska, I've used disposable pie plates tied to stakes to produce a visual effect. A strong smelling soap, like Irish Spring tied to stakes close by helps some too.
The only way I know of is to put up a 7 ft fence. They will jump anything lower.
Haha, a Winchester....a Browning or Remington works equally well.





Seriously, I have dealt with this problem for a long time. Nothing is 100% effective. I saw mention of a 7 foot fence, I will tell you now, they can jump a seven foot fence! I have seen it with my own eyes. On the farm we had a 10 foot high tensile electric fence, we still had a few get through somehow. For the small garden my grandfather used to use motion detectors with some degree of effectiveness. Would use light bulbs and small radios, moving them around every few days. As far as the urine and all of the other ways, I have tried them and they will work for the first few nights but then the deer get used to them and begin to ignore them.





If it is a large enough area, at least here in Georgia, you can get a permit to shoot them, that is the only 100% effective method I know of. Here we have a huge problem with them, they are overpopulating, causing hazards to drivers and a huge nuisance to farmers.
Much like these other answers, I would have to suggest a spray. The problem with most sprays is how labor-intensive they are. After every couple days or after a hard rain, most sprays are completely washed away. Scoot Deer, a spray offered by Bird-X, Inc. is specially formulated to last up to thirty days. Also, unlike other sprays, Scoot Deer is microencapsulated so each day is as effective as day one. It tastes like hot peppers, which deer absolutely hate, and after trying the plants a couple times they will almost definitely move on. Feel free to call for a professional consulation at 1(800) 860-0473 or visit http://www.bird-x.com/products/deer.html. Good luck!
Human hair clippings. Call your barbershop and have them save the hair from their cuttings. Spread it around the plants and the deer will stay away. They dont like the human scent. There is one other way, but it is not to practical, especially in populated places. Urinate around the plants. That too will keep them away.
A winchester should do it.
When we lived in NC we planted sweetgrass and put out salt licks for them..kept them from eating the plants around the house and still allowed us to watch them.
Have you tried wolf urine? Sometimes it's carried in hardware stores.





Here's a homemade remedy:


STEP 1: Combine in a blender; one whole egg, one cup of milk (skim or regular), a few tablespoons of cooking oil and one tablespoon of liquid soap with one quart of water. Add one teaspoon of hot chili oil if you have it on hand.


STEP 2: Set the blender on low to mix all the ingredients together.


STEP 3: Pour the mixture into a small spray bottle.


STEP 4: Spray the homemade deer repellent onto susceptible garden plants every five to seven days.
Deer or Kangaroos ate all my spinish last year so this year I plant ed garlic cloves around my plants.





Not only does it keep animals away but also a lot of insects..

No comments:

Post a Comment