Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How do I prevent deer from eating my mums/flowers?

Live in Northeast Ohio on 2 wooded acres and want to stop the deer from eating my mums in my flower beds. I need something that is safe to use with children.How do I prevent deer from eating my mums/flowers?
You can get hair from your local beauty shop or barber. I know it sounds weird but it works. The deer picks up the human smell %26amp; won't come near. I live in rural Oklahoma %26amp; have deer come thru all year %26amp; they never touch my flowers or vegetable garden. Just spread the hair through out you garden. or you can use a spray of 1 well beaten egg, 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce in 1 gal water. That also works for rabbits. Can also be painted on tree bark or landscaping timbers.How do I prevent deer from eating my mums/flowers?
a crossbow with broadhead points is very effective and it,s nearly silent. veniso makes very good sausage too!

Report Abuse



human hair
Use Blood Meal - available in the organic fertilizer section at your garden centre...... make little pouches, using pantyhose, and fill with Blood Meal then tie to fence, stakes or plants at deer nose level.


This is usually more effective than hair.
The best product is called Liquid Fence. I work in L%26amp;G Center and we sell a ton of this stuff and all the feedback is positive. Call around and see which local L%26amp;G centers carry liquid fence. It comes in ready-to-use quarts and concentrates (that make 4 gal).
put out a salt lick for them away from the finished lawn- -works for me
Use a shotgun, with the kids behind you they will be safe. Plus free meat.
Try human hair. You can get bags from your local barber shop. I'd sugguest a barber shop rather than a beauty shop because the hair tends to be shorter and hides easier in the flower bed. The deer probably wont like the scent of humans and it should keep them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment